Sunglasses were needed when the fluorescent cords came out on the show on 2.5.16! I wanted to show that fluorescent colours can be used either in block colours for maximum impact or they can be used more sparingly for a playful effect. The kit also included some large Agate rounds, three Snowflake Obsidian teardrop cabochons and three different types of metal spacer.
This was the first demonstration of the show and can be found at around 3 hours 24 into the recording, which can be found by clicking here. I demonstrated two bracelets, both of which made use of the metal spacers. Other beads could be used. The look would be different, but just as effective.
Half Round Bracelet
- Use 6 x 60 cm black S-lon 0.9mm/Tex 400 and 4 x 60 cm orange S-Lon 0.4/Tex 210. Position the black cords on either side of the north and south dots and in the 2 slots below the east and west dots. Position 2 orange cords in each of the 2 slots above the east and west dots.
- The braid structure is Half Round Braid. Braid for 2 cm.
- Thread 30-34 beads onto the 2 cords below the east and west dots.
- Continue to braid and each time the cords with beads are moved from the sides to the top add in a bead from each one. Do not add in beads on any other moves. Beads will be added in each alternate full sequence of moves.
- Braid in all the beads and braid for a further 2cm without beads.
- Finish the braid with foldover ribbon ends or a glue-in end cone and a clasp.
Flat Braid Bracelet
This bracelet is made on the square plate. If you have not used the square plate before it may be useful to read the section on this website about braiding with the square plate.
- Use 8 x 60cm S-Lon 0.9mm/Tex 400, 4 x 60cm orange S-Lon 0.5mm/Tex 210 and 4 x 60cm green S-Lon 0.5cm/Tex 210.
- Position the orange cords, 2 per slot in the top 2 middle slots. Position the green cords, 2 per slot in the bottom 2 middle slots. Position the black cords evenly on either side of the coloured cords, so that there are 6 filled slots on the top of the plate and 6 filled slots on the bottom of the plate.
- The braid structure is 12 cord flat braid. Braid for 2cm.
- Beads are only added when the two top cords are moved to the sides and they are only used on the black cords. Lift the middle left cord and thread on a bead. Lift the middle right cord and thread it through the same bead in the opposite direction. Pull the cords tight and put them in the correct slots at the sides. Carry out a full sequence of moves and then add the next bead.
- Continue with this pattern until the braid is the correct length and finish off with foldover ribbon ends or glue-in ends and a clasp.
- Cut 1m pink S-Lon 0.5mm/Tex 210. Fold it in half and use an overhand knot to make a small loop in the middle of the cord. This loop needs to be large enough to accommodate the cords for the braided section around the neck.
- Thread on an 8mm bead and tie the cords in a double knot (square knot). Pull it tight against the bead. Thread on the next bead and repeat the knot. Continue to add a further 13-15 beads with a knot inbetween.
- Use 3 x 80cm black S-Lon 0.9/Tex 400 and 2 x 80cm green S-Lon 0.5mm/Tex 210. Thread all the cords through the loop made in step 1 and centre the beaded section on the cords.
- Position the green cords diagonally opposite on the disk and the black cords in the remaining slots on either side of the dots at north, south, east and west.
- The braid structure is Round Braid. Braid for 15-20cm.
- Repeat for the other side of the necklace, reversing the colours.
- Tie the front of the necklace together in a knot. Add a drop of glue to the knot and allow it to dry.
- Take one pink and one green cord and thread on 7 beads, knotting in between. Trim the cord ends after the final knot and seal the knot with glue or a flame.
- Repeat for the other side with 5 beads.
This bracelet is made with 3 separate braids. The braids are bound together and then glued into a large end cap.
This bracelet is made with one double length bracelet, folded in half and wrapped with wire to create a loop. The braid ends are bound together and then glued into a large end cap. A row of large agate beads and spacer beads are threaded onto wire and attached to the end cap and a toggle with wrapped loops.
The braid structure is Round Braid. Use 4 x black S-Lon 0.9mm/Tex 400 and 4 x cream S-Lon 0.9mm/Tex 400. Position the black cords on either side of the north and east dots and the cream on either side of the south and west dots.
The cabochons are stuck onto backing fabric and the beads are sewn around using backstitch.